Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Regional Recipes: JAPAN and GERMANY Round-Ups

So I know what you're all thinking.  It's about time.

For which I apologize deeply.  Life is crazy right now what with Project Food Blog last month and school constantly, etc.  But better late than never, right? And once you see how good these dishes are...I'm sure you'll agree.  So lets dive into Japan AND Germany, shall we?

Janet of Tastespace used these scrumptious Ginger-Poached Soba Noodles with Tofu and Broccoli to carb load before a double imperial century ride.  Now I've always thought century riders were crazy, but double imperial century riders?  That goes beyond diagnostic capacity!

Kim of The Ungourmet likes experimenting with veggies as much as I do.  When she found pea shoots at a market, she knew she had to try them.  And hence this pea shoot and shiitake soba noodle bowl was born.  And man am I glad for that!

I was so happy when Katerina of Culinary Flavors told me she was going to step outside her comfort zone and find a NEW chicken teriyaki recipe to cook this month!  The one she discovered which comes from Jaden of Steamy Kitchen sounds delicious to me!

Kristen of Holy Cannoli found inspiration for this dish in the unlikeliest of places - an anime cartoon!  With a cookie exterior and a bread interior...I'd have to say this melonpan is the winner of the carbohydrate world.

They say great minds think alike, and I definitely agree since Elra and I decided to make the same Japanese Curry recipe!  I truly loved this dish and from looking at this picture, I'm sure I would adore her version as well!

Sweet Artichoke brought this delicious cucumber and wakame salad to the round up!  Little does she know that I order seaweed salad whenever I get Japanese food and have been looking fervently for a recipe!  This one looks perfect.

Ann of Split Pear-sonality relives some of her memories of one of her favorite restaurants though this fantastic beef negimaki.  In my opinion, this dish deserves a multi-starred review.

Not only that, but she sent in TWO entries (because two is always better than one).  This grilled ginger chicken yakitori, along with the negimaki of the previous entry are inspired by a trip she took to Japan.  Jealous!

Since I took so long to post the Japan roundup, Chaya of My Sweet and Savory and Chaya's Comfy Cooking Blog had time to make not one, not two, but THREE recipes!  The first is a simple, delicious, refreshing cucumber salad.  What a way to whet your appetite.

Knowing my love of both peanuts and dessert, Chaya also made some Japanese peanut cookies!  Perfect with a nice cup of tea.

Chaya is possibly the only person I know whose love of salmon rivals mine and so it's no surprise that she made this fantastic Japanese salmon to round out her entries!

When Mary of One Perfect Bite found a strange vegetable hiding among the celeriac, she knew she had to give it a try.  And I'm glad she did because this Kinpira Gobo - a salad made out of burdock root - looks delicious!

One of my absolute favorite bloggers who I miss dearly every day since she had to leave her rotation here at Cornell and go back to med school in New Jersey is Sharlene of Small Town Oven.  Thankfully, I get a little dose of her through these cupcakes, which are full of stellar ingredients.  Black sesame seeds.  Wasabi.  Chocolate.  You know you're intrigued.

I'm pretty sure I had to pinch myself when Heather of Girlichef sent me this recipe for.  Are you ready?  Caramel-coated sweet potatoes or Daikagu Imo.  I'm really glad she came around to sweet potatoes because otherwise I may never have stumbled across these beauts!

Jo of Little House By The Railway Line had to scavenge her local Asian market to find the ingredients for these Mitarashi Dango...little dessert dumplings of delicious, but they look so good that I'm sure it was worth it!

Deb of Kahakai Kitchen made this thin, but highly flavorful Clear Soup with Carrot and Daikon Flowers.  It looks almost too pretty to eat!

Do you believe in destiny?  That's the question that Kelly of It's A Food Life poses before starting her post about Togareshi-Seared Ahi Tuna with Orange Ponzu Cream Sauce.  It is definitely a series of coincidences that came together to allow her to make this fabulous dish.  Be sure to read all about it!


Torview Toronto loves sushi as much as I do and I'm so impressed with her homemade rolls!  The sushi rice she made came out perfectly.


Marisa of The Creative Pot demystified Japanese food (raw fish, miso, fermented bean curd - oh my!) by making a crispy deep fried treat that anyone would love - tempura! I don't know about you, but this is definitely one of MY guilty pleasures!

Finally, there is my submission of Japanese Chicken Curry.  A sweet yet spicy curry that will leave your taste buds very happy.

Now...for the second half of the round-up!  In honor of Oktoberfest, Regional Recipes went to Germany during the month of October.  Beer, sausages, meat.  What's not to love?

Kathy of Polwig really got into the Oktoberfest spirit with THREE German recipes!  First up is this creamy sauerkraut, which is not only delicious but is full of antioxidants that can help to prevent cancer.  Good stuff.

In a carb-loving spirit, which I highly endorse, Kathy also made a whole slew of pretzels (bresn).  So many shapes and sizes of carb heaven!

What is a delicious German meal without a delicious German dessert?  Kathy definitely came through with this fantastic yeasted plum cake that is rife with memories form her childhood.

Heather of Girlichef included all of the best parts of German food in her Oktoberfest pizza - pumpernickel dough, currywurst sauce, bratwurst, potatoes, sauerkraut...I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Faith of An Edible Mosaic, a fellow condiment lover, planned this whole German feast around a jar of mustard that she found in a new supermarket!  The sausages and sauerkraut she made definitely seem like the perfect compliment.

Alexis of Big Momma and Me followed her husband's advice to make these Kartoffelpuffer...I mean potato pancakes for Regional Recipes.  Good call.

Kristin of Holy Cannoli asked her German friend for advice when trying to decide on a dish for Regional Recipes. Well Kristin, your friend is a keeper because this Flaedlesuppe (Pancake Soup) looks fantastic!

Debbi of Debbi Does Dinner...Healthy and Lowfat got her family back for all their picky eating ways with these Chocolate Sauerkraut Cupcakes.  The best part is...her kids had no idea what was in the cupcakes or even that something was amiss until AFTER they'd eaten them.

Katerina of Culinary Flavors dug up this recipe for Gefullte Halbmondchen...err...crescent cookies from her archive of bookmarked recipes.  They may have a mouthful of a name but they sure look delicious!

What do you get when you combine cherries, chocolate, and vanilla sponge cake?  Donauwelle German cake, as Vanessa of Sweet Artichoke shows us.  What a delicious combo.

We all crave French onion soup once in a while but what do you do when you want something just a bit lighter?  Deb of Kahakai Kitchen shows us with this German onion soup!  A lighter version of a soup classic.

Kelly of It's A Food Life chose to commemorate the glory that is Oktoberfest with Rouladen, a serious comfort food if ever I've seen one.


Janet of The Tastesace worked with her grandmother to make these delicious apple strudel.  I am floored by how much love went into these and couldn't be more appreciative of the result.

 Debbie of A Feast for The Eyes cooks up a HUGE Oktoberfest meal every year.  Check out her blog to see the bazillion German recipes she cooked up this time around!

Reeni of Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice was swept away by the honey almond flavor combination in this German Bee Sting Cake, and honestly, I have been too.  I know what I'll be making for one of the many upcoming holidays...

Elra made up an interesting version of Caramelized Apple Strudel using phyllo dough instead of puff pastry.  Lighter and just as delicious.

 Corina of Searching for Spice spent a year living in Germany during which she got to enjoy all of the wonders that German cuisine has to offer.  One of her favorites was lebkuchen, a spicy gingerbread biscuit that would be perfect for the holiday season, don't you think?

And FINALLY, now that you're all exhausted and absolutely ravenous in every sense of the word, here is my contribution, which is Pork Schnitzel. A breaded pork chop that is perfect for when you want to come home from work to find a good, easy meal.

Alright.  Now.  The moment you've ALL been waiting for.

Next month we are headed to.....Brazil!  Please email me your recipes by December 1st!

32 comments:

  1. Love the round-up, Joanne. It always amazes me how varied the submissions are!

    Can't wait to travel to Brazil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanne, great round-up. So many wonderful dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is packed to the hilt with all sorts of deliciousness! Thanks for hosting and including me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice round up! It all looks great! Thanks for your hard work! Brazil sounds awesome, and warmer than Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great round up Joanne--so many delicious and different dishes. Thanks for hosting. I am going to attempt a non-last minute / non-soup entry for Brazil--let's see how I do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious roundup Joanne
    you missed mine
    http://torviewtoronto.blogspot.com/2010/02/going-japanese-sushi.html
    yummy dishes I haven't had

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow looking Delicious.
    Thanks for share.
    Regarding by.
    Chicken Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drool!!!:P'''''''''''' Total yum...I want to revisit both places :D But I'm super stoked for Brazil...great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely double the fun in this delicious round-up! Everything looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are all so great... I am hungry and ready to try them out.... Just where to start?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all looks so amazing! I missed out on Germany. I have a recipe all ready to go on top of my microwave but I just couldn't seem to get to it. Oh well, next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great round ups! All dishes are wonderful. It was well worth the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My oh my! So many awesome recipes I want to try out, don't know where to start. Thanks so much for the roundup Joanne and Brazil sounds exotic!

    But, um.. *small voice* you forgot my tempura for the Japanese roundup. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  14. My recipe for Lebkuchen seems to have been missed out.
    http://searchingforspice.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/lebkuchen/

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic round up!!
    I tried CHaya's SAlmon recipe and it was awesome !!
    THought i 'll send it to u too and boy am i late:-))

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many interesting dishes. Those Japanese peanut cookies look good. Thanks for entering my Kikkoman giveaway. Come back often and leave more comments to increase your chances of winning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I cannot believe the amazing dishes here. Some very talented cooks and very delicious recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delicious looking roundup. Can't wait for Brazil...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Yummy!!

    I'm Brazilian, living in a city one hour away from Rio, and my wonderful friend Linda told me about your blog, and that next month you'll be presenting Brazilian recipes, can't wait to see them here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crap! how am I just now finding this awesome blog?! Ah well, like you said, 'better late than never!' although i would have loved to share my fav Japanese recipe in the whole world! * sniff

    ReplyDelete
  21. You won me over with the first pea shoot and shitake soba noodles. Great looking dish!! Can't wait to revisit this blog and explore. Shulie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Joanne, Wow!! Your dishes look so nice !! I am getting hungry looking at them! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your round up looks like an incredible buffet! Don't know what to taste first! I'll take my time reviewing the delicious dishes one at a time. Great job! A real culinary experience!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great blog you have! I like your "recipe round-up" concept. I am now following you and I hope to see you around soon at Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea, Joanne! The dish that I liked most it was the first noodles 'cause I loved the broccoli color!

    Oh, if I knew it.... Can I send you my brazilian recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great concept, and very interesting and delicious looking dishes. Lucky if you get to try all of those!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a fabulous roundup! Everything looks delicious. Now I'm hungry...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  28. All meals are great and tasty, I choose all the hugs, friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmm!! Que de bonnes choses ici:)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. amazing round up,loved the clicks,thanks for sharing
    view our blog
    http://indiaandworldcuisine.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lindas recetas amo Brasil por sus comidas y sus bailes irè tambièn al Mundial,abrazos,

    ReplyDelete